468x74px Affiliate Banner

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Recipe: Crackle-Top Molasses Cookies


Archway used to make a Soft Molasses Cookie that was probably my most favorite non-homemade cookie EVER! They were BIG and soft and SO delicious!

The closest thing that I have found to those cookies, is this recipe
for Crackle-Top Molasses Cookies, found in a cookbook called "Cookies"
by Natalie Hartanov Haughton.

Here is the recipe:


********************************
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses (I use about 1/3 cup)
2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I doubled that)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
(I added about 1/4 teaspoon salt...for good measure.)
About 1/3 cup sugar (set aside in a bowl)

Preheat oven to 350F (175C). In a large bowl, combine oil and 1 cup sugar. Add egg, beating well. Stir in molasses, 2 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger. If necessary, add a little more flour to make a firm dough. Shape dough into 1-1/4 inch balls. Roll in 1/3 cup sugar. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown and tops "crack". Remove cookies from baking sheets; cool on racks. Makes about 45 (2-1/2 inch) cookies. (Or, if you're like me, and like your cookies bigger, it will make about 24 3" to 3.5" cookies.)

I hope you like them!

Mama Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment