468x74px Affiliate Banner

Monday, August 22, 2011

Learning to Make Fabric Flowers


I have been wanting to learn how to make fabric flowers for a little while now, and today I finally sat down to do it. I have loads of fabric, so I picked some pieces that match outfits I have made for our little girl.

The pink flower was made from THIS TUTORIAL.

The blue and white flowers were made using THIS TUTORIAL.

I like the blue and white flowers better. With the pink one, I felt like I had to color inside the lines, but with the blue and white flowers, I felt like I could gloriously paint/color ALL over the page, and it would still turn out beautifully. I'm an "outside the box" kind of girl, so I loved how easy the second tutorial was, and how it allowed me to just twist and pinch and bunch and glue. With the second two flowers, I glued probably every 1/4", and found that it was easy to give a more "poofy" and soft look to the flower.

With the pink flower, I felt awkward, but not because the tutorial was bad! Just because it was my first one, and I wanted to try both tutorials to see which worked better for me.

Now, I have a feeling I will be making loads and loads of these fabric flowers, and trying different types of fabric (I used quilter's cotton on these flowers). Oh, what fun! My girlie is going to have lots of pretty headbands and pins/brooches for her wardrobe!

ADDED 08/23/11: Here are some more flowers I made. All but the one on the bottom left are made with the second tutorial from above. The one on the bottom left was made using the first tutorial above. The plain aqua colored flowers were made with an old t-shirt of mine, and I LOVE how they turned out! One thing to keep in mind: They don't have to "look perfect". That's the beauty of this craft. There's no exact way to pinch, fold, twist, glue, etc., yet the flowers still come out SO cute!



Mama Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment