468x74px Affiliate Banner

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Movie Review -- Made of Honor


While I am not the type of girl who just drools over gorgeous actor-men, I do think that Patrick Dempsey is rather handsome. He has a certain charm to him. But he was definitely lacking that charm in this movie...Made of Honor.

Warning: If you haven't seen the movie, don't keep reading. There are a few "spoilers".

We watched this "chick flick" last night as a family. Yes, Papa Bear and Brother Bear watched too. I watch a lot of "war" movies with them, so I figure they must think it's only fair. Truth be told, I have to admit that I enjoy watching MOST of the movies that they like to watch.

The movie is rated PG-13, but look what I found on the IMDB site: Rated PG-13 for sexual content and language. (edited; originally Rated R for some sex-related material.) Well, DUH! If it had stayed at "R", we most likely wouldn't have watched it, but I don't think it deserved the PG-13 rating. There were a few blatant "lingerie" scenes, and several "in bed" scenes, because Tom Bailey (Patrick's character) was, how do I say this delicately?, a "Casanova".

Papa Bear and Brother Bear have this rule; they turn their heads whenever they see women on TV who are scantily clad, and this even means women who are fully dressed, with the exception of a fully bared cleavage. So, needless to say, they did a lot of "head-turning" and hiding of the eyes. (I'm so proud of them! Papa Bear turns to look at me when scenes like that come on. And I'm so thrilled that Brother Bear is learning to keep his eyes and mind as pure as he is able.)

We definitely weren't thrilled with all the hopping in and out of beds that Dempsey's character did. If I were Hannah (Michelle Monaghan--who was also in Eagle Eye, which we previously reviewed!), I don't think I would've stuck around! Oh, and we were again grateful for TVG! There was quite a bit of language in the movie, although I don't think the "F" word was in there. However, the "P" word was, and one time the TVG missed it. YUCK!

Another thing that made this movie lousy was Tom Bailey's dad's weddings. Yep, weddings. There was only one shown, but it was his SIXTH! And the pre-nup discussion? AWFUL! Not to mention his BRIDE! And fidelity? Not a high standard in this movie at all. There was not really a man in the movie who was "faithful". Not many women were either! Tom's guy friends were all into "well at least I know how it feels to have the same woman by my side--in my bed, for life" (and this guy also was told on about how he actively fantasizes over the JC Penneys lingerie catalog, so his fidelity wasn't even there, no matter how long he's been with the same woman!), and "yes, but you don't know what it's like to have a different woman in your bed each night", like that's a GOOD thing! This movie sets the bar so low for men, when it comes to being 100% faithful to their wife or girlfriend.

It seemed that Hannah's fiance, Colin, was right out of a fairy tale. He had it all...title, Scottish accent, castles for seasonal homes, looks, brawn, and he was a hunter (which Hannah didn't care for!). He seemed to have a lot going for him. (There was even one part where one of the bridesmaids mentioned that she was going to meet, fall in love with, and marry a man from Scotland. No offense to the Scots, but just because a guy has an accent and a castle, doesn't mean that he's a real man either...doesn't mean he's the "perfect guy"!) I'm just glad that he didn't choose one of the bridesmaids in the end. And he gave Tom Bailey what he had coming. The thing that I didn't care for in his character is that he was not willing to share his cake! I mean, come on! It was chocolate cake! And Hannah was so used to sharing with Tom. It seemed like the makings of a disasterous and non-loving, non-sacrificial marriage to me.

This movie had a great story line, but so many elements that made it bad! It could've been a really good movie, if it weren't for all the sexual innuendos and obviousness (is that even a word?)! It is not a movie that will ever make it to our list of all time favorites.

Let me know what you thought of it!

Mama Bear

2 comments:

  1. I think the sweetest thing about this movie was your two men averted their eyes. Well done! Kuddo's to your parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the preview of the movie! Now we have the full scoop.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Is your husband a Pastor or is he in school to be a Pastor and where are you pastoring? You probably saw that my husband is also a pastor. We have been in Hutchinson, kansas for 8 years at an American Baptist Church.
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete