468x74px Affiliate Banner

Friday, March 19, 2010

Seeds Equals Growth...Right?


Papa Bear called me this morning from work. He does this every morning...just to see how I'm doing. Typically he'll have some illustration that God has let him see. Today was no different. In fact, I think HE should be writing this post...not me.

Today, Papa Bear told me that he's been thinking about seeds. See, we have been working hard for the past two weeks to get our garden in. We have planted pumpkin seeds, corn seeds, green bean seeds, carrot seeds, cucumber seeds, and garlic, and we have transplanted strawberry plants, tomato plants, onion plants, and cilantro plants. We have turned the soil and prepped it with organic compost, and miracle grow soil, as well as regular potting soil. We have tended, watered, made sure the plants were in full sun.

Papa Bear said that he wonders if God looks at us sometimes, like we look at our garden. We look at it every day, and water it when it needs it, including with Miracle Grow. We lovingly tend to it, expecting, by faith, to get a wonderful harvest of delicious fruits and vegetables. We realize it will take time, but sometimes I get a little impatient and ask Papa Bear, "When did we plant those seeds? Shouldn't we be seeing SOMEthing?". Papa Bear gently reminds me, "It hasn't been very long. Just two weeks ago on some, and less than a week on others. It'll come.". I see little tiny green sprouts, but are they what I planted? Or are they weeds?

So, do you think that God looks at us, lovingly "watering" us with the Living Water, "feeding" us with the Bread of Life, making sure that we have plenty of Sonlight, pulling out the weeds that crop up. Do you think that He wonders "When is she going to grow? I've done everything possible to make sure she has what she needs to grow." What a thought! The Master Gardener has given me EVERYTHING that I need to grow! Why am I not growing?

Unlike plants, which have no free will, I choose to not be in the Word daily. I choose to not spend very much time in prayer. I choose to not use the tools that He has given me in order to blossom. I need to be like the plants and seeds that we have planted. I need to just take in all that I can, all that He has blessed me with...His Living Water, His Bread of Life, His Word, His Son! I have made His Son my Lord and Savior, but I need to spend time with Him! How can I possibly expect to grow if I'm allowing the weeds to crop up and choke the good plant? Weeds of laziness, bitterness, unforgiveness, strife, envy, selfishness. Those could even be like the insects and worms and birds and other critters that want to feast on my precious garden.

Lord, I pray that you would uproot the weeds in my life, and teach me to grow more in you each day. Help me to blossom and reproduce the way that you want me to. Help me to spread the Gospel through my actions and my words. Thank you for being my Master Gardener, and for so patiently and lovingly tending to me, to help me grow in you.

1Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

3He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers. 4The wicked are not so,
but are like chaff that the wind drives away.

Psalm 1:1-4 (ESV)

Have a blessed day in the Lord!

Mama Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment